NameDietrich Arthur George (“Buster”) Berthold
Birth13 Jul 1918, Augustana Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
LivedSep 1942, 4439 N. Rockwell St., Chicago, Illinois
Death9 Sep 1942, 4439 N. Rockwell St., Chicago, Illinois
Burial12 Sep 1942, Montrose Cemetery, Chicago, Illinois
MiscellanyAttended 1936 Berlin Olympics; called “Buster;” Margery wrote his name as Dietrich George on LDS form
Flags%CoreFam, Linked, Thumbnail, [FamLabel], [Gen09], [GenYes]
Birth29 Mar 1918, Chicago, Illinois
Baptism2 Jul 1918, St. Pauls Church, N. Orchard St. & Kemper Pl., Chicago, Illinois
Lived1920, 1924 Orchard St., Chicago, Illinois
Lived1950, 8 Starlight Road, Staten Island, NY
Lived1980, 116 Yankee Pt. Drive, Carmel, California
Death12 May 2014, Cupertino, California
Burial13 Sep 2014, Pacific Ocean, Yankee Pt, California
OccupationOpera Singer; Voice Teacher
EducationDiploma, 1935, Nichoas Senn High School, Chicago; American Conservatory of Music, Chicago
MiscellanyAlso Called "Mimi.” See for recordings of her singing and additional biographical details.
FatherGottlieb Mayer (1885-1964)
MotherLillian Margaret Greiner (1889-1938)
MarriageAug 1938
ChildrenLynn Arthur
Notes for Dietrich Arthur George (“Buster”) Berthold
His given name appears in several forms. On his birth certificate it is “Dietrich Arthur George.” On the 1920 census, as a baby, his name is recorded as “D[i]etrich,” as it is a year later on the manifest of the SS Rijndam bringing the Bertholds back to New York after a trip to Germany. On the 1930 census, when he was 11, it is written as “George,” as it is on the manifest of the SS Berlin returning George to the U.S. after his post-Olympics visit to Germany. Margery called him “Buster”, but said his real name was George. On an LDS form, she wrote his name as Dietrich George; on a babybook for Lynn, she wrote his name as George Dietrich.


“Grandma Mayer left both Ethel & me some money, which, shortly after Buster (George) and I were married, we needed. So we went to Aunt Louisa, and asked for it. As I recall, she acquiesced. I don't remember how much it was, but we needed it as you [Lynn] were just born and I was not singing. Anyway, it helped as we were living near to where Ethel lived, on Foster Ave. Apparently, I started singing as we got a baby sitter.  I was also singing at the Riverdale Temple. Then your father got sick, so we moved back to his mother's houseā€”on the second floor above the book bindery.  George's lungs got much worse and he shipped himself down to Valmora, N.M. to a sanitorium. They only cooked Mexican style which he couldn’t eat, so I made the trip by train down there with two shopping bags full of canned chicken and foods he could eat. I flew back to Chicago, singing on the Hymn Show--five days a week.  

“George arranged to be sent by train and ambulance to the Chicago T.B. sanitarium on the North side---from there he was sent home to our Apt. where he took his own life---which I've told you about before.”

-- Margery Mayer Voutsas, 8 March 2008 e-mail to her son Lynn


“Jim Sims and his wife were childhood friends of Buster [George]” -- Margery Mayer Voutsas, 2002
Last Modified 4 Sep 2014Created 6 Sep 2014 using Reunion for Macintosh